Sunday, November 2, 2014

Observation#2

Dr. Mcfarland added one beta food pellet into my microaquarium on October 24, 2014. The following information describes in detail about the food pellet:"Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.
I did not see many changes in my microaquarium. I still saw multiple cyclops, but I did manage to obtain a good picture of a Euglena helicoides. I was able to identify it as a euglenoid because of its eye spot at the top of its body. I noticed that there were multiple diatoms in the euglenoid. Many euglenoids swim by using their flagella. Of the forty genera of euglenoids, about 2/3 are heterotrophic and the other 1/3 are able to photosynthesize. Freshwater euglenoids have a contractile vacuole. Euglenoids are able to sens light by using their eyespot. Majority of the 900 euglenoid species live in freshwater environments. Euglenoids flourish under high nutrient levels("Euglenoids", source 2) I was able to identify this specific species on page 283 from my first source in my bibliography.

1.Forest, Herman Silva. Handbook of Algae. Knoxville: U of Tennessee, 1954. Print.
2.Euglenoids." Euglenoids. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2014. <http://fmp.conncoll.edu/Silicasecchidisk/LucidKeys/Carolina_Key/html/Euglenoids.html

No comments:

Post a Comment