Monday, November 10, 2014

Observation #3

This week I noticed many more worm-like structures than previously. The past couple weeks I have seen little to none. Strangely I saw no cyclops. The other times I saw at least five different cyclops if not more.I saw a multitude of Rotifers and Halteria. My microaquarium seemed to be predominantly Halteria. Halteria have spherical shaped bodies with five to six leg like structures. They have a contractile vacuole and move very rapidly by jumping and they also have a rotary swimming movement(Curds).Though they move rapidly and are very small I was lucky enough to get a picture. I was able to identify the organism on page 139(source 1).



1.1.Pennak, Robert W. Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. Print.
2.Curds, Colin. "Halteria." N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2014. <http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nies.go.jp%2Fchiiki1%2Fprotoz%2Fmorpho%2Fhalteria.htm>.

No comments:

Post a Comment